Neoclassical Exterior with Central Hexagon Inside
About this Plan
See What's Included in this Plan...
- From the outside, it's not immediately obvious that a vaulted, hexagonal great room forms the core of this home. Wings on two sides extend like welcoming arms to partially enclose the attractive entry courtyard that fills the wide space between the brick veneer columns and the vaulted, double-door entry.
- An art niche fits into a narrow wall section on the left, as you stand in the lofty entry. To its right, is an open passageway that leads into the great room. Pie-shaped wedges there angle up to a high central peak, and windows fill most of the three rear walls, creating a panoramic view.
- At center, a spiral staircase circles up to the vaulted loft that sits above half of the hexagon. From its front and rear handrails, you can overlook either the entry or the great room. An arch-windowed dormer over the entry brings natural light to a space that could be a library, study, sleeping loft, or whatever suits.
- Back on the ground floor, sliding doors in the dining area open out onto a roomy screened porch, ideal for catching the afternoon breezes or sharing summertime meals. An angled eating bar is all that separates the dining area from the Beckwith's spacious and well-appointed kitchen. Counters and cupboards wrap around four sides, and a large pantry fills one corner.
- The owners' suite fills the entire right wing, while two more bedrooms and bathrooms fit neatly into the other. Skylights brighten the owners' bathroom, which boasts a spa tub, two vanities, a private toilet, and a shower. It also has two roomy walk-in closets, one larger than the other.