Shingle-Clad Home or Retreat
About This Plan
- The shingle-clad exterior allows this home to fit discretely into a wooded or beach-side setting, while its simple, compact, massed shape makes it inexpensive to build, and efficient to heat. The house plan is equally appropriate for construction as a year-round dwelling or a vacation retreat.
- Entering, you step directly into a large open space that stretches from the front all the way to the rear. A wide coat closet fits neatly into the back of the vestibule on the left, which is next to the stairs.
- Natural light beams into the living room through multipaned windows on two sides, and this area is entirely open to the dining room, which in turn flows on to the kitchen.
- In the kitchen, a large work island adds to the already generous counter and cupboard space, and a roomy pantry adds even more storage capacity. Laundry appliances are nearby in a pass-through utility room that leads out onto a side stoop. A broom closet with shelves and a convenient powder room are also tucked into this hallway.
- The home office, off the kitchen at the rear, is in an ideal location for handling household accounts, or even running a small, office-based business. It could also be a study, housing books and a family-shared computer.
- Three bedrooms, a full bathroom and a loft are upstairs. The loft could be outfitted as a study area or library. The owners' suite has a charming railed balcony that faces the front, and a surprisingly large walk-in closet. The bathroom has a double vanity, combination tub and shower, and ample towel storage. Secondary bedrooms also have large closets.
Square Footage Breakdown
- Total Heated Area: 1,814 sq. ft.
- 1st Floor: 936 sq. ft.
- 2nd Floor: 878 sq. ft.
- Bedrooms: 3
- Full bathrooms: 1
- Half bathrooms: 1
- Standard Foundations: Basement
- Optional Foundations: Crawl, Slab
- Standard Type(s): 2x6
- Width: 26' 0"
- Depth: 41' 0"
- Max ridge height: 28' 6"
- Floor / Height: First Floor / 9' 0"
- Primary Pitch: 7 on 12
- Framing Type: Stick