Southwest Passive Solar Design
About This Plan
- Designed for easy, modern living based on the lifestyle of small families or empty nesters, the accent is on the master suite along with a generous cook's kitchen and a nice size laundry area for convenience.
- This single-story plan has a slab floor for radiant heat in winter that also serves as a passive cooling thermal mass in summer.
- Perimeter overhangs keep the living space in shade while metal roofing reflects radiation from the high-angle summer sun.
- The efficient passive design needs only a small wall-mounted boiler to charge the radiant slab, providing an elegant dust-free heating system that warms to the bone with minimum expense.
- Nine-foot high ceilings lend an interior grandeur to this simple, easy to build plan.
- The prefabricated truss roof system makes the sophisticated hip design easy to frame.
- The perimeter soffit also allows windows to remain dry and open for ventilation during rainy weather and shades them from direct summer radiation to keep things cool.
- This plan is a highly efficient home - easy and inexpensive to build, comfortable to live in, and a big cost-saver going forward.
Square Footage Breakdown
- Total Heated Area: 1,929 sq. ft.
- 1st Floor: 1,929 sq. ft.
- Bedrooms: 3
- Full bathrooms: 2
- Standard Foundations: Slab
- Standard Type(s): 2x6
- Width: 48' 0"
- Depth: 80' 0"
- Type: Attached
- Area: 576 sq. ft.
- Count: 2 Cars
- Entry Location: Side
- Floor / Height: First Floor / 9' 0"
- Framing Type: Truss