Single Family Curb Appeal with Duplex Utility
About This Plan
- Two sets of porch steps and front doors are the only exterior clue. One faces the street, the other is around the corner to the left - an ideal set-up for a family that wishes to provide supportive but independent housing for an aging relative, or wants income from a rental they can easily supervise.
- From its tapered porch supports to its low-pitched side gables and large centered dormer, this home's exterior styling harks back to Craftsman homes of the early 1900s. Inside, both of the duplexes have contemporary floorplans.
- The ground floor unit is larger. In addition to the great room/kitchen, it has a master bedroom, two secondary bedrooms, two bathrooms and a small utility room that's tucked into an alcove just inside the front door. An eating bar defines the boundary between the kitchen and a great room with patio access and a large walk-in storage closet.
- To enter the second floor unit, you step into a bright ground-floor foyer outfitted with a coat closet and a bench for removing and storing boots. Natural light streams in through sidelights. More light washes down from the dormer window above, brightening the staircase and spilling over into the great room as well.
- Kitchen, nook and great room flow together, unimpeded by barriers of any kind. Next to the stairs is a pocket-sized utility room, designed to house a stacked washer/dryer combination. The small kitchen in the upper unit can be built with a door that opens onto a second-level deck, if one is desired.
Square Footage Breakdown
- Total Heated Area: 2,288 sq. ft.
- 1st Floor: 1,267 sq. ft.
- 2nd Floor: 1,021 sq. ft.
- Bedrooms: 5
- Full bathrooms: 3
- Standard Foundations: Crawl
- Optional Foundations: Basement, Slab
- Standard Type(s): 2x6
- Width: 47' 0"
- Depth: 45' 0"
- Max ridge height: 27' 0"
- Type: Detached
- Area: 572 sq. ft.
- Count: 2 Cars
- Entry Location: Front
- Floor / Height: First Floor / 9' 0"
- Primary Pitch: 10 on 12
- Framing Type: Truss